Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Here We Go!

                Over the past couple of years, I have really gotten an education on the impact of social media and the technology of our times. My wife and I started OneStep4Autism as a vehicle to support blended families with autism. Our family is fortunate in that our 4 children get along better than we could ever have imagined. Over 11 years ago I got into a relationship with a woman and her 2 children with autism (ages 7 and 3) and it wasn’t easy. Mainly because I, myself, was recently divorced with 2 children of my own (ages 13 and 10). I feel our family has a lot to offer others who may be struggling with a similar situation. Looking at where we are now in our lives, my wife and I were able to go back to college; she's now a nurse and I earned a Bachelor's degree in Human Services Management. I also volunteer one day a week at my son's school for special education to provide a music program for the students after the school was forced to cut music due to funding issues.
             But getting back to social media and technology, we had the ability to develop our own website, communicate through Facebook and write articles. I have now begun this blog to discuss autism, in addition to another personal writing blog, and we are also in the process of setting up a Twitter account. We also have a YouTube Page and can share the musical talents of our family along with other information. There are so many possibilities out there and it is wonderful. Working with the autism community has been amazing and having the opportunity to share information, thoughts, and ideas with others on a daily basis is remarkable. Becoming a contributor to Autism Parenting Magazine has helped reach out to others, share experiences and learn a lot in the process. I look forward to the interaction on this blog and hope we can help each other, learn new things, and share some laughs and stories about our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment